Oct 2, 2015 5:04 PM
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - California's High-Speed Rail Authority says it has received 35 responses from private companies interested in financing, building and operating the first 300-mile segment of the controversial rail project.
Officials say the responses are a positive sign of private interest after lawmakers last year provided a dedicated government funding source.
But Chief Executive Jeff Morales declined to provide details Friday about what the companies told the agency, saying officials are still reviewing the responses.
The authority provided a list of 35 U.S. and international firms that replied, including Barclays Bank and the Chinese High Speed Rail Delivery Team.
Critics have cited the lack of private investors as a sign that the $68 billion rail plan is not realistic, but the agency has repeatedly said that private investors would come in later.