CAL FIRE/Butte County Fire is Lifts Burning Restrictions
Oroville – Cal Fire/Butte County Fire is lifting burning restrictrions on Monday. Cooler temperatures and the recent wet weather have helped reduce the threat of wildfire. We are, however, in our fourth year of drought and property owners and residents are being asked to use caution while conducting debris or agriculture burns. Property owners are also asked to maintain control of the fire at all times, as you can be held civilly and criminally liable for allowing a fire to escape onto neighboring property. Residents must also verify if it's a burn day prior to burning and call the Butte County Air Quality Management District (BCAQMD) at 332-9407 or toll free at 1-855-332-9407 or at www.bcaqmd.org to determine burn day status and to familiarize yourself with BCAQMD regulations for your area. See below for burn pile requirements as provided by CALFIRE.
- Burn Hours in Biggs and Gridley are 6:00 am until 2:00 pm. Burning in the city limits of Oroville is allowed from 6:00 am until one hour before sunset with valid permit. Burning in the town limits of Paradise, both east and west zones, is permitted from 9:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. November 14th, through December 13th with a valid permit. Burn hours in the remaining Butte County areas are 8:45 am until one hour before sunset.
Pile Burning Requirements
- Only dry, natural vegetative material such as leaves, pine needles and tree trimmings may be burned.
- Drying times apply for the burning of vegetative waste. Contact the BCAQMD for more information.
- The burning of trash, painted wood or other debris is not allowed.
- Do NOT burn on windy days.
- Piles should be no larger than four feet in diameter and in height. You can add to pile as it burns down.
- Clear a 10 foot diameter down to bare soil around your piles.
- If burning on a lot less than one acre in size, all open fires should be located more than 25 feet from the nearest occupied dwelling on any adjacent parcel.
- Have a shovel and a water source nearby.
- An adult is required to be in attendance of the fire at all times.