Cal Fire Gives tips after second Bangor stove fire in two days

Dec 9, 2013 7:15 PM

Cal Fire and Butte County Fire responded to a house fire in Bangor late this morning.

Three people were inside, and all got out safely.

Officials said it's the second Bangor wood stove fire in two days.

They also said a wood stove fire can be caused a few different ways: Improper installation, not keeping them clean, and putting too much wood inside the stove.

“It’s really imperative and very important that you get those stoves cleaned and keep them clean at least once a year,” said Cal Fire PIO Scott McLean. “Make sure there's no creosote in the stacks and also installed properly after and or during construction}

McLean estimates roof damage to the home on Jan Dar Road to be $10,000. An exact cause is still under investigation.

In a press release, CAL FIRE offers the following fire safety tips:

  • Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet away from heating equipment such as a furnace, fireplace, wood stove or portable space heater.

  • Have a 3-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.

  • Always turn portable heaters off when leaving a room or going to bed.

  • Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to prevent sparks from escaping.

  • Allow fireplace ashes to completely cool before disposing them. Place in a tightly covered metal container at least 10 feet away from your home and any other nearby buildings. NEVER empty fireplace or wood stove ashes directly into a trash can.

  • Never use your oven to heat your home.

  • If using fossil fuel heating, install and maintain carbon monoxide (CO) alarms to avoid the risk of CO poisoning. Make sure your home has working smoke alarms as well.


Most Popular