Jun 29, 2015 7:09 PM by CBS/AP, Photo: WTVF
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A 12-year-old boy in Nashville has died after an apparent accident involving fireworks.
Multiple media outlets report that the boy was playing with mortar-style fireworks on Sunday night, when one of the shells exploded in his hand, hitting him in the chest.
Police say the boy was taken to a hospital, where he later died of his injuries. Officials with Metro Police said the victim was identified as Antonio Braden, CBS affiliate WTVF reports.
The boy's sister tells WSMV-TV that she believes there was a group of children playing with the fireworks who were not being supervised by adults.
The incident remains under investigation.
No charges have been filed at this time, WTVF reports.
It is legal to possess fireworks in Davidson County, but it's illegal to buy, sell or use such fireworks in the Metro area.
Meanwhile, police said a 47-year-old man has died after a large firework shell he was holding exploded near his head in suburban Detroit. The Oakland Press of Pontiac says the Oakland County medical examiner's office identified him as Scott Jeffers of Walled Lake.
© 2015 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.