May 19, 2015 9:30 PM by News Staff
Quentin Bealer, the man accused of killing a 14-year-old Red Bluff High School student more than two years ago, is ready for his trial to begin.
Bealer and his attorney were in court Tuesday, not to deal with the murder case, but rather seeking to reduce three unrelated felony charges to misdemeanors under Proposition 47.
The hearing hit a quick roadblock when the Judge reported Bealer's request had not been filed properly, however Bealer's attorney Shon Northam took advantage of the forum and brought up the murder case.
Northam said Bealer is extremely frustrated with how the case is progressing, and said they're both ready for trial.
Bealer is accused of killing 14-year-old high school student Marysa Nichols, who was last seen on February 26, 2013. Her body was found two days later in a creek near Red Bluff High School and investigators determined she had been strangled. Bealer was caught on security tape in the area and investigators deemed him a person of interest in the case, he turned himself in March 2, 2013.
Bealer is requesting a speedy trial and hopes to pull his general time waiver, which would force the courts to begin the trial in the next 60 days. On Monday, Bealer who has maintained his innocence since day one, sat down with Action News Now to explain why he is so ready to get this trial over and done with.
"I think the jury, at the end of the day, will find me innocent. There's no doubt about it. They have the wrong person" Bealer said.
You can watch the full interview with Quentin Bealer Wednesday night on Action News Now on KNVN-24 at 5 p.m. and KHSL-12 at 6 p.m.
10 hours ago