Bay Area high school students overdose on cough medicine

Oct 21, 2015 11:57 AM by News Staff

MILL VALLEY, Calif. (AP) - Three students at a San Francisco Bay Area high school were sent to the hospital in the week after they overdosed on an over-the-counter cough and cold medicine that causes a high.

KNTV reports Wednesday that the students took Coricidin, according to a letter to parents from Tamalpais High School Principal Julie Synyard.

Coricidin, also referred to as "Triple C," is a commonly abused over-the-counter medication containing dextromethorphan. When taken in large quantities, the drug causes a high that produces hallucinations and a sense of dissociation, according to the Drug Enforcement Administration.

Synyard says many teens take the drug straight from the medicine cabinet at home, steal it from the store or receive it from another teen.

Officials say drug overdoses are the leading cause of accidental death in Marin County. The majority are due to prescription drugs.


Information from: KNTV-TV.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.


Most Popular