Authorities question Cubs' Castro after shooting

Dec 27, 2014 5:39 PM

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) - Authorities in the Dominican Republic say they have questioned Chicago Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro after a nightclub shooting in which several people were injured.

Police spokesman Jacobo Mateo says people close to Castro were apparently involved, adding that he has no further details.

The shooting occurred early Saturday in the northwest province of Montecristi, where the 24-year-old Castro is from.

Police are investigating allegations that the shooting occurred after an argument between Castro's brother and the assistant of a government official.

Castro said at a news conference earlier this month that he had already left a club when a different shooting occurred and was not involved in it.

Castro's agent, Paul Kinzer, did not immediately respond to messages from The Associated Press.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Most Popular