AP: Federal Officials Deny Suspect Arrested in Boston Marathon Bombings

Apr 17, 2013 12:29 PM

BOSTON (AP) - Federal officials are denying that a suspect is in custody in the Boston Marathon bombings. A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation had told The Associated Press that a suspect was in custody, and was expected to appear at a Boston courthouse under heavy security. But the FBI and the U.S. attorney's office in Boston dispute that.

The official who spoke to The Associated Press did so on condition of anonymity and stood by the information even after it was disputed.

The official was not authorized to divulge details of the investigation. The official had said the suspect was expected in federal court in Boston.

Reporters and police have converged at the courthouse.

(UPDATE) 12:15 p.m.-CBS- After a flurry of conflicting media reports Wednesday afternoon, Boston Police and Massachusetts State Police said there has been no arrest in the Boston Marathon bombings.

Several media outlets reported that a suspect had been identified from
surveillance video taken at the Lord & Taylor store on Boylston Street. The
store is between the sites of the two bomb blasts, which killed three people
and wounded more than 170.


Most Popular