Anderson teen dies after mistaking poison for cocaine

Aug 27, 2014 5:46 PM by News Staff

An Anderson teen died and two others were hospitalized Friday after ingesting a poisonous substance they believed was cocaine.

Two 16-year-olds and a 13-year-old ingested a white powdery substance after school Friday August 22. The three kids were rushed to the hospital, but one of the 16-year-olds was pronounced dead from an unknown lethal poison or arsenic.

On Wednesday the Anderson Police Department issued a plea, asking parents to talk with their children about drugs:

"This horrific incident could just as easily be any one of our young teens in the Shasta community. I urge you to tell this story to your children and family members. Drugs are unsafe and purchasing/using substances that are exchanged on the street is a gamble that can have life ending consequences. Stay in touch with your children. Talk to your kids. Monitor their lives as much as possible. Educate them. Communicate with them. Make every effort to steer them in the right direction.

There are no guarantees to avoiding such tragedies, but by staying diligent and participating in your children's life hopefully you can make a difference and keep them safe."


Most Popular