Apr 13, 2015 6:51 AM by Cheryl Wengren
An apparent hash oil explosion leveled a garage in Redding early Monday morning, sending five people to the hospital with serious burns.
Emergency crews were called out to the 1600 block of Green Street shortly before 1 a.m. Monday on reports of a structure fire and explosion.
Early indications lead investigators to believe the garage was the site of an illegal "honey oil" lab.
The manufacturing of this high grade marijuana is extremely dangerous, and highly explosive.
A large tub of marijuana, butane cylinders, and glass tubing - all elements of honey oil production - were being processed at scene.
The names of the burn victims have not yet been released.
Five adults were transported to local hospitals with severe burns.
Four were transported to Redding hospitals and one to St. Elizabeth's in Red Bluff.
All of the injured are believed to have been removed from the structure, but crews will remain on scene for multiple hours to make sure no one is still trapped inside.
1 day ago