Dec 17, 2014 3:17 PM
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) - Defensive lineman Ray McDonald has been released by the San Francisco 49ers amid an investigation by San Jose police into McDonald on suspicion of sexual assault.
San Francisco 49ers general manager Trent Baalke says he informed McDonald and his agent by phone at 11:30 a.m. PST that the defender is "terminated"
Baalke says, "This is a situation that we can all learn from." Baalke said CEO Jed York and coach Jim Harbaugh also were involved in the decision.
Baalke says the 49ers notified the NFL office of the allegations against McDonald, saying, "This is a team decision."
Last month, the Santa Clara County district attorney's office announced it declined to file charges against the defensive lineman in an investigation stemming from his Aug. 31 arrest in a domestic violence case.
(Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)
2 days ago