4 killed in shooting at Fort Hood; gunman among dead

Apr 2, 2014 5:19 PM

FORT HOOD, Texas - A soldier opened fire Wednesday at Fort Hood, killing three people and wounding several others before taking his own life, law enforcement sources told CBS News.

The incident occurred Wednesday afternoon at Fort Hood, the site of a notorious 2009 mass shooting.

Law enforcement sources said four people were killed, including the gunman, who died of a self-inflicted wound. Officials said several people were wounded, although the exact number was not immediately clear. At one point there were reports that as many as 14 people had been wounded.

Sources told CBS News the shooter had been identified as 34-year-old soldier Ivan Lopez. A source said the violence apparently stemmed from some sort of soldier dispute.

In Chicago, President Barack Obama said he was following the situation closely. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel was also informed, Navy Rear Adm. John Kirby said.

"We're heartbroken that something like this might have happened again," Obama said, referring to the 2009 massacre. "I want to just assure all of us we are going to get to the bottom of what happened."

Warning sirens went off on Wednesday afternoon and all personnel were urged to shelter in place as the base went on lockdown.

"There has been a shooting at Fort Hood and injuries are reported. Emergency crews are on the scene. No further details are known at this time," the post said in a brief statement.

A man who said he was a witness told CBS affiliate KWTX that about 20 shots were fired at a post motor pool. The man said he saw a soldier jumping over a fence and running away, but it was not clear whether that solider may have been the shooter.

First responders from surrounding communities headed to the post, home of the Army's 1st Cavalry Division.

Ford Hood near Killeen in central Texas was the site of a mass murder on Nov. 5, 2009, when Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, an Army psychiatrist, opened fire at a soldier readiness center on the base. He shot 13 people dead and wounded more than 30 others. It was the worst shooting ever to take place on an American military base.

Hasan, who was left paralyzed when he was shot by police responding to the shooting spree, has been sentenced to death for the rampage.

Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, offered sympathies to the Fort Hood community on Wednesday night.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the Fort Hood community in the aftermath of this tragedy. Many questions remain and our focus is on supporting the victims and their families," Dempsey said. "This is a community that has faced and overcome crises with resilience and strength."

© 2014 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.


Most Popular