24 students hospitalized after chlorine leak at Redding pool

Jun 1, 2015 8:31 PM by News Staff

District officials say 24 students from the Pacheco School in Redding have been hospitalized after they were exposed to unsafe amounts of chlorine during an end of the year field trip.

Redding Fire officials say the students were celebrating the end of the school year with a field trip to Sun Oaks Tennis and Fitness Club.

The students were in the Sun Oaks pool when fire officials say there was an extremely concentrated burst of pool cleaning supplies, a mixture of chlorine and muriatic acid, which all came out at once.

The supplies when combined, create a potent gas, and after breathing it in a handful of the students began throwing up. In addition to the vomiting, students reportedly had trouble breathing, burning eyes, noses and throats.

Six of the students were taken to a local hospital by ambulance, while the rest were transported to Shasta Regional Medical Center and Mercy Medical Center by bus.

An investigation into the incident is underway, and the pool has been shut down.

The conditions of the injured students is unavailable, but officials say none our listed in critical condition.


Most Popular