When two-time Olympic champion Ted Ligety lifted his goggles after his downhill training run at the 2018 Winter Olympics, it exposed the blue tape he was wearing over his nose and cheeks with the letters “U-S-A.”
He was not alone.
With temperatures dipping below freezing at the Jeongseon Alpine Center, many Alpine skiers have decided to wear athletic tape on their faces to protect exposed skin from the elements.
Many athletes love their sport but hate the cold. Watch several Winter Olympians discuss how they deal with freezing temperatures:
- Why Alpine skiers are wearing tape on their faces
- Alpine skier Mikaela Shiffrin crowned 'Snow Queen'
- Marcel Hirscher: First male Alpine skier with three golds in 50 years?
- What is the Alpine skiing team event?
- Trump's CIA pick faces growing Hill scrutiny over destruction of interrogation tapes
- First ever Mattel doll wearing a hijab
- Netflix still wears the streaming crown
- Exonerated man forced to wear ankle monitor
- About THAT hat Melania Trump is wearing
- A non-skier's guide to Aspen