A popular Redding restaurant is growing.
Wilda's on Churn Creek Road has opened a long-awaited second location in Downtown Redding.
Wilda's got its start in downtown about seven years ago.
But ever since they left the area for a larger location, fans have been clamouring for their downtown return.
And staff members and customers couldn't be more excited.
“I love it,” Wilda’s cook Juan Angel said. “New kitchen, new equipment, everything's brand new. You know, just ready, ready for people, ready to go. We're anxious.”
Troy Jones works downtown and used to frequent Wilda’s at it’s old spot near Placer and Court streets.
He said he’s glad to see the new location open.
“A lot of the guys and girls at the office are excited about it here, just walk over here,” Jones said. “I like how they got a lot more seating here, so that'll be more enjoyable to bring some friends here and sit down and enjoy a meal together.”
The new location sits at California and Placer streets in Cascade Square just a couple of blocks away from the old location.
Management and staff say they're happy to be back to their downtown roots.
“We had a lot of clients that we left when we moved,” employee Iris Speers said. “They were pretty sad about that. And we didn't gain a lot of people on the other side of town, but it's nice to be back to out old people, the people who were our first customers.”
The restaurant has developed quite a cult following over the years from people of all ages and walks of life.
“I think it appeals to everyone which is why we have such a big, wide audience,” Speers said.
Speers couldn't say why the restaurant has become so popular among locals, but it could have something to do with their famous signature menu item, the buddha bowl.
“That's usually the go to here that I enjoy,” Jones said. “I do get the falafels too, but today was a buddha bowl day.”
Or it could be the stellar customer service that comes with every order.
“Over the years, we've had people come in all the time,” Speers said. “We get to know them, get to know their lives and stories. And I think it's just really cool for people to have that. And then they follow us everywhere we go to the new place, this new place. It's cool.”
Speers says they're still open and doing well at their Churn Creek location.
And they look forward to serving clients at both location for many years to come.
- Wilda’s restaurant opens new location in Downtown Redding
- Restaurant Set to Open in Downtown Redding
- UPDATE: Redding Police Locate Possible Arson Suspect
- Redding Sees Update to Downtown Specific Plan
- Sticking point on Trump-Kim talks: Location, location, location
- Evacuation at Redding school lifted after 'suspicious device' located nearby
- Shubert's Ice Cream & Candy to open second location in Chico
- 36th Annual lighted Christmas Parade in downtown Redding
- UPDATE: Two arrests made in connection with downtown Redding stabbing
- New development in downtown Redding aims to help revitalization