MOJAVE, Calif. (AP) - Virgin Galactic says the latest glide test of its space tourism rocket plane was a success, nearly reaching the speed of sound high over California.
The spaceship, named Unity, was carried aloft by its mother ship on Thursday and released over the Mojave Desert.
The craft was immediately put into a steep descent and accelerated to Mach 0.9 to test stability and control under forces approaching what it will endure when its rocket is fired for suborbital flights into the lower fringes of space.
It was the seventh glide flight for Unity.
Virgin Galactic did not indicate whether the program is ready to move on to rocket-powered test flights.
- Police Conduct Targeted Enforcement Effort
- Birders conduct their Christmas count in Oroville
- Anderson police conduct monthly neighborhood enforcement operation
- Chico Police Department conducts crime sweep
- GOP nominee denies inappropriate sexual conduct with minors
- US official says North Korea has conducted a missile launch
- Giants suspend Apple for finale for 'detrimental' conduct
- Allegations of inappropriate conduct by teacher at Yuba City High
- Stockton officer accused of inappropriate conduct with minor