CAYCE, S.C. (AP) - A crash between an Amtrak passenger train and a CSX freight train in South Carolina has left at least two people dead and about 70 people injured.
Lexington County spokesman Harrison Cahill said the trains collided in Cayce around 2:45 a.m. Sunday.
Cahill couldn't say if the two people killed were on the passenger train or the freight train. He says the injuries ranged from scratches to broken bones.
Amtrak says the lead engine and a few passenger cars derailed on Amtrak 91, which was operating from New York to Miami. There were eight crew members and approximately 139 passengers on board
Lexington County Sheriff's spokesman Adam Myrick says deputies were taking the uninjured in patrol cars to a shelter.
Amtrak set up a passenger information line at 800-523-9101.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- South Carolina train crash leaves at least 2 dead, 100 hurt
- Rollover crash in Redding leaves one dead
- 2 car crash leaves 1 dead near Skyway
- Fatal car crash on Highway 99 leaves one dead
- Long Beach workplace shooting leaves 2 dead
- Nor'easter hits Massachusetts, leaves 1 boy dead
- Swarm of nearly 100 small earthquakes shake south Reno
- Paradise woman turns 100
- Two Toyotas crash on Hwy 99 leaving 1 dead and several injured
- 4 Vehicle Crash in New Mexico Leaves 3 Dead and At Least 22 Others Injured