CHICO, Calif. -- The Chico Housing Action Team, also known as CHAT, has secured land on Notre Dame Boulevard and Morrow Lane for Simplicity Village, a shelter for elderly homeless people.
These plans are far from being finalized. Action News Now confirmed with the City of Chico that Simplicity Village is not on the agenda at the moment and could take months before it is considered by the Chico City Council.
CHAT is a five-year year organization that was started with the concept of building affordable homes.
Founding CHAT member, Robert Trausch, said CHAT will work closely with the city on design plans depending on what is allowed.
Simplicity Village will house 40 to 60 homeless people who are 55 and older, this includes people who have disabilities.
"When I first heard of Simplicity Village, I was a little surprised they thought that was a good idea because the police chief at the time and police chiefs since then, just about everywhere this happens, it causes crimes and really doesn't solve any problems," said Chico Mayor Sean Morgan.
"This is a place they are going to be able to get their feet back on the ground. There's going to be support systems for them, they're going to be paying rent, they're going to be contributing to the community," said Ann Schwab, Chico City Council Member.
There was an illegal homeless camp on this property in 2017. Several business owners Action News Now spoke with did not want to be on camera, but said they shared concerns of public safety for themselves and for their business.
"It'd have 24-hour security, no one would be allowed to enter without permission, there would be services. Again, it would be totally controlled," said Trausch.
The Chico City Council recently authorized the city attorney to prepare a resolution for a shelter crisis. If the council declares a shelter crisis and approves the project, Simplicity Village can move forward.
FOLLOW LAURA ENG ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
- Simplicity Village Secures Land in Chico
- Chico City Council to discuss 'Simplicity Village'
- Emergency landing at the Chico airport
- Northern California Regional Land Trust
- Chico fast food restaurant takes a new security precaution
- Chico city staff contracts for armed security patrol
- Hackers Welcomed at the ‘Norcon Security Conference’ in Chico
- Family of man killed in encounter with security guard, Chico Police files claim against city
- Small plane makes emergency landing on busy Southern California freeway
- LAX maintenance means 3 nights of re-routed landings, noise