UPDATE 11:13 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2018 - The Shasta County Sheriff's Office has identified the victim as Kelle Lauree Clark, 37, of Redding.
Clark died around 8 p.m. on Sept. 2 on Woods' Island in Shasta Lake, when she was crushed by a log that tumbled from the top of the island to the shore.
The incident remains under investigation by the Shasta County Sheriff's Office Boating Safety Unit.
SHASTA LAKE, Calif. - The Shasta County Sheriff's Office is investigating the death of a woman they say was crushed by a log at Lake Shasta.
Deputies say they were called at around 7:07 p.m. on Sept. 2 due to a report of a woman crushed by a log on shore, near a cove in the Jones Valley area. Deputies from the Shasta County Sheriff's Office Boating Safety Unit responded to the scene. A man met with deputies at the Pit River Bridge, and led them to the north side of Woods Island.
The victim, a 37-year-old white female from Redding, was located on the shore at the water's edge. The victim was receiving CPR from citizens that were in the immediate area when the incident happened. Deputies arrived on scene and took over CPR.
The victim was moved to a Sheriff's Office patrol boat and transported to Mariners Point for Life Flight extraction. County Fire and AMR personnel arrived on scene, and the victim was declared deceased prior to the helicopter arriving. The Shasta County Coroner responded and took custody of the victim.
Deputies were told that three people and the victim were on the north side of Woods Island. The four were attempting to roll a large log from the top of the island down to the water. The victim had relocated downhill and off to the side from where the log was located. The three others were able to dislodge the log and roll it down the hill. The large log struck stumps and large rocks on the way down, which diverted the log's path. The large log rolled over the victim, causing a life-ending injury.
The incident is still under investigation, and it is unknown whether alcohol played a factor in the incident. The victim's identity is being withheld pending notification of next-of-kin.
- Sheriff's Office Confirms Identify of Woman Crushed by Log at Shasta Lake
- Missing Woman Found Alive Near Shasta Lake
- UPDATE: body found by fisherman in Shasta Lake identified
- Person Identified in Fatal Motorcycle Accident in Shasta Lake
- Shasta County Sheriff Identifies Victims in Double Homicide
- UPDATE: Woman Identified in Crash at ATM Machine in Shasta Lake City
- MISSING WOMAN FOUND: At Risk Shasta Lake Woman Found Safe
- Shasta County Sheriff's Office Finds Body in Burney Falls
- Shasta Lake City Manager Announces Retirement
- Deputies Find Deceased Man in Shasta Lake