UPDATE 3/12/2018 4:03 p.m.
The Butte County coroner has released the identity of the man killed in a head-on crash Friday afternoon as 77 year old Robert Roder of Colfax.
UPDATE 6 p.m. - The crash happened about 2:10 Friday afternoon just north of Keefer Road.
CHP spokesman Logan Calahan says a 77-year old man driving a blue geo was headed southbound and drifted onto the shoulder, hit a road sign and then went back into the southbound lane and crossed into the northbound lane, striking a Cal Fire pick-up truck head-on.
The driver of the Geo was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the Cal Fire pickup, Cody McNamara of Anderson and his passenger, Greg Babcock of Redding are listed in stable condition as of 6 p.m. Friday.
Both are Cal Fire engineers, the CHP just told Action News Now there is still one-way traffic control while the crash is investigated.
UPDATE - Officials say it appears that the driver of a light blue Geo Metro headed south on Highway 99, north of Keefer Road and it drifted off the road, hit a sign and then over-corrected, entering into the northbound lane.
The car collided head-on with a truck headed northbound.
“One of the vehicles involved is a Cal Fire utility truck, it's a crew out of Shasta County, that’s all I know about them, I don't know them but they were involved,” said Rick Carhart, public information officer for Butte County Cal Fire.
The driver of the metro was pronounced dead at the scene, the driver of the Cal Fire pickup survived with moderate injuries, and the Cal Fire passenger has minor injuries.
CHP is directing traffic around the crash, allowing one-lane of traffic through at a time.
CHICO, Calif - One person is dead after a car smashed into oncoming traffic on Highway 99, north of Chico, according to initial reports from the CHP.
According to CHP, the incident was reported before 2:30 p.m. Friday on the northbound lane of Highway 99 near Anita Road.
At least two vehicles were involved in the incident and have forced a closure on northbound Highway 99, southbound Highway 99 is still open.
This is a developing story we will update this article as soon as more information comes into the newsroom.
- One dead after head-on crash at northbound Hwy 99
- HWY 99 NOW OPEN: Fatal head on crash near Biggs blocking both lanes of Hwy 99
- Three Car Pileup Slows Down Northbound Highway 99
- Hwy 99 reopened after logging truck rollover
- GoFundMe page created for the woman who survived hwy 99 head-on crash
- Two Toyotas crash on Hwy 99 leaving 1 dead and several injured
- CHP confirms fatal crash blocking both lanes of Hwy 99 near Hwy 162 junction
- Debris on Hwy 99 creates dangerous hazard for drivers
- Officials say wet roads a factor in four-car crash on Hwy 99
- Hwy 99 Onramp at East Ave. Reopens After Chico Big Rig Crash