WASHINGTON (AP) - Former first lady Michelle Obama says there was "a lovely frame" in the Tiffany-blue box Melania Trump delivered on inauguration day.
But the formal exchange on the day President Donald Trump took the oath of office was a little awkward, Mrs. Obama told Ellen DeGeneres in remarks broadcast Thursday.
Mrs. Obama recalled that after Mrs. Trump gave her the gift on the White House front steps, "No one would come and take the box" so that it would not appear in photos.
Finally, Mrs. Obama said, her husband, the outgoing President Barack Obama, took the gift inside and photos were taken.
Mrs. Obama also gave DeGeneres gag birthday gifts, including a "Chia Obama" - a figure of the former president's face that grows a plant in place of hair.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Mrs. Obama says 'lovely frame' in box during awkward inauguration handoff
- Dubai Frame: Emirate's controversial mega structure opens
- Shasta Kennel Club hosts inaugural dog show
- Trump and May speak after an awkward silence
- Trump's new Netherlands ambassador grilled at awkward first press conference
- Trump to hire lawyer who pushed theory DOJ framed Trump
- Man who accused police of framing him awarded $10M
- Switzerland wins inaugural Olympic Alpine skiing team event
- Quest: Mr. Trump and the Davos elites
- No, Mr. President, Chrysler isn't leaving Mexico