WASHINGTON (AP) - Former first lady Michelle Obama says there was "a lovely frame" in the Tiffany-blue box Melania Trump delivered on inauguration day.
But the formal exchange on the day President Donald Trump took the oath of office was a little awkward, Mrs. Obama told Ellen DeGeneres in remarks broadcast Thursday.
Mrs. Obama recalled that after Mrs. Trump gave her the gift on the White House front steps, "No one would come and take the box" so that it would not appear in photos.
Finally, Mrs. Obama said, her husband, the outgoing President Barack Obama, took the gift inside and photos were taken.
Mrs. Obama also gave DeGeneres gag birthday gifts, including a "Chia Obama" - a figure of the former president's face that grows a plant in place of hair.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Mrs. Obama says 'lovely frame' in box during awkward inauguration handoff
- Shasta Kennel Club hosts inaugural dog show
- Man who accused police of framing him awarded $10M
- Whiskeytown National Park removes fee boxes
- Summer 'Box Office Preview' for 2018
- National Portrait Gallery unveils Obama portraits
- Thanksgiving dinner boxes available for Butte County families in need
- The north state fills boxes for Operation Christmas Child
- Pixar's 'Coco' remains at top spot for weekend box office
- 'Jumanji' roars the loudest for the weekend box office