Chico, Calif. -- American appetite for electric cars is heating up.
A new AAA survey shows that 20% of Americans will likely go electric for their next vehicle purchase, that's about 50 million Americans that say they may go electric next time around.
“People have been inquiring online, people have been coming in looking for information; I had a couple of fellas that were on waitlist forms for 8 months,” said Chico Nissan Hyundai General Manager Ryan Sutton.
A spokesman for AAA Northern California says they see a strong future for electric cars, and consumers are showing they agree.
1/5 of Americans say their next vehicle will likely be electric. The survey also shows that 80% of people who are likely to buy an electric car will do so out of concern for environment, and 67% because of lower long-term costs.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, it would take $2.64 to fully charge a car with a 24kWh battery, which has a range of about 70 miles.
Assuming you drive 15,000 miles per year, the average electric car costs about $500 to charge per year, while a gasoline car that gets about 30 miles to the gallon, at the current California average gas price of $3.66 would cost about $1,830 per year.
But, this doesn't come without concerns, one of the biggest ones being how far you can go on a full charge.
Sutton says if you're just driving around town, electric is definitely the way to go.
“If you've got a, you know, 15, 20, even 30 mile commute to work, electric fits right into your wheelhouse as well,” he said.
He said if you're driving long distances, something like an hour and a half every day, then you may want to wait it out a bit until the technology gets better.
He said things have really changed, and you're no longer giving up much by going electric.
- More Americans Want Electric Cars, Survey Says
- Monca Presents ‘The Body Electric’
- First snow survey of 2018 is disappointing
- PG&E's snowpack survey says water levels look good
- April Snow Pack Survey says Reservoirs are Above Average
- Your Electrical Clock Could be off by 7 Minutes
- Cal Fire: ‘County Fire’ Caused by Electric Livestock Fence
- Firefighters Replace Family's American Flag
- New Survey: Over 1 Billion Small Arms in World, Up From 2007