LOS ANGELES (AP) - "Maze Runner: The Death Cure" is the highest grossing film of the weekend, but according to studio estimates Sunday, many moviegoers also chose the first weekend after Oscar nominations to catch up with some awards contenders like "The Shape of Water" which had its highest grossing frame with $5.7 million.
In first place, "The Death Cure" took in a higher than expected $23.5 million. "Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle" fell back to second place for the first time in weeks. Down only 16 percent, "Jumanji" added $16.4 million, bringing its total to a robust $338.1 million.
In third place, the Christian Bale Western "Hostiles" expanded wide to 2,816 theaters in its sixth weekend and earned $10.2 million. "The Greatest Showman" and "The Post" rounded out the top five.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 'Maze Runner' installment tops charts, Oscars pics get boost
- Box Office Top 20: 'Fifty Shades,' 'Peter Rabbit' top charts
- Cryptocurrency Bitcoin is off the charts, but for how long?
- Runners brace for the 'Redding Marathon'
- Predicting winners for the 90th annual 'Oscars'
- Chico Velo Club Installs Bicycle Pumps
- Copyright board boosts songwriters' music streaming fees
- AP Exclusive: New rules govern handling of Oscar envelopes
- Yuba City's own Adrian Molina wins an Oscar for 'Coco'