LOS ANGELES (AP) - A representative for John Mahoney says the actor known playing the cranky dad on "Frasier" has died. He was 77.
Mahoney's longtime manager, Paul Martino, said Monday that Mahoney died Sunday in Chicago after a brief hospitalization. The cause of death was not immediately announced.
Mahoney played Martin Crane, father of Kelsey Grammer's Frasier and David Hyde Pierce's Niles. The series, a hit spinoff of "Cheers," aired from 1993 to 2004.
Mahoney's recent roles included guest appearances on "Hot in Cleveland" and a 2015 episode of "Foyle's War."
The British-born Mahoney made Chicago his adopted hometown.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press.)
- John Mahoney, who played cranky dad on 'Frasier,' dies at 77
- John Gavin, actor who became ambassador to Mexico, has died
- 'New mothers' sign for new dads too?
- Los Molinos vigilante dads catch and tie up thief
- Dad forces school bus bully to run in rain
- Oroville Dad: My Daughter Doesn't Feel Safe at School
- Northern White Rhino Dies
- Local teen rock band playing big stages
- Astronaut John Young dead at 87
- Republican John Cox Campaigned In Chico