Chico, Calif.—Following the Trump administration’s announcement on school safety measures, many parents want to know what measures are already in place to keep students safe.
Assistant superintendent of the Chico Unified School District Jim Hanlon said that since the shooting in Parkland, Florida anxiety levels have increased. Just within the last few weeks, they've been taking proactive steps to help both parents, and students, feel safe.
"The magnitude of the Parkland shooting clearly makes people upset and very anxious so I think as tragic as those are, the silver lining is that folks need to be prepared," he said.
Hanlon said that student safety is and has always been the number one priority for the district.
With the increase in the number of school shootings, he said they've taken steps to improve safety such as increased fencing so there's one point of entry, installing more security cameras, and talks of potentially bringing back school resource officers.
"I see the relationships that the school resource officer makes with students in a very positive and constructive way, and I think that those are very helpful in preventing all kinds of issues on campus, not just shootings," he said.
Part of the Trump's administrations proposed measures is firearm training for teachers.
"For teachers, this would be, putting them in a situation that's completely foreign to them, so I would just worry about weapons in those types of situations," Hanlon said.
Hanlon said they will do their part in keeping students safe, but they need parents to listen to their kids if they believe someone is showing warning signs.
"As a parent, you know it's the most frightening thing you can think of so you want to make sure your kids are safe. You know, you want to believe that your community doesn't have those kind of people in it, but you never know,” he said.
This Wednesday, schools in Chico and around the country will take part in the National School Walk out at 10 a.m. where students plan to demand action from congress to pass legislation to keep students safe from gun violence.
- Increased safety measures following recent school shootings
- Students get life-saving lesson after recent school shootings
- Chico improves school safety amidst mass shootings
- James Gallagher on Recently Passed Dam Safety Bill
- Chico police dispute recent violent crime statistics
- Nation debates gun violence and school safety
- School Safety Legislation Proposed in State Assembly
- Proposition numbers assigned to ballot measures
- State Ballot Measure Results - California Primary Elections
- Orland Pushes Hotel Tax Ballot Measure