"A guitar is a guitar, you need to put your hands on it and actually feel what is feels like," said Rich Pires, owner of Herreid Music. "You see kids getting their first guitar, their faces light up, you can just see the enthusiasm in their eyes."
Still, online sales have taken their toll on local retailers, and after 20 years, Herreid Music in downtown Chico is closing it's doors for good.
"When Tower went down, it was downloading, and here, a lot of it's online sales," said Lynne Brown, long-time manager at the Chico store. "Online you don't know what you're going to get, so what we see is people coming in here, asking us to do a set up."
Herreid Music's a fixture in the region, beginning in Redding in the 60's and expanding to Chico 20 years back.
"We have people who have taken lessons from us when they were kids, and now their kids come to us for lessons," said Pires.
Manager Lynn Brown's also become a bit of a fixture in the local music community, meeting new patrons and artists everyday on the job.
"It keeps you young, keeps you hanging with the 'homies', I'm a musician, all my life, and it makes you feel good, being around the music, especially seeing stuff that comes out, it's like Christmas all the time," said Brown.
Even the building has so many stories to tell.
"Back in the turn of the century it was a butcher shop, an antique store, the Junction Saloon, a card room, a pool room - someone was shot there!" said Brown.
Back in the 70's, Brown actually played on the stage there as an opening artist when it was a bar and music venue.
Now, it's time for patrons to say their goodbyes.
"I know it's going to hurt, I've already heard from a lot of people on Facebook... It's sad," said Brown.
"The community's going to sorely miss this store, it has that personal vibe, upper-quality ware ... This community needs stores like this, we're sorry to see them go," said Magalia resident and customer, Bill Thomas.
And Pires wish for the community? Just keep on playing.
The shop will close it's doors after januray 6th, 2018.
- Herreid Music in Chico closing down
- Free gospel music workshop in Chico
- Avenue Q Spring Musical at CSU, Chico Next Week
- Physical music sales surpass digital downloads of music in 2017
- Chico Animal Shelter closed for staff training
- Politics and Music Combine Together for the ‘Rock the Vote’ Event in Chico
- Copyright board boosts songwriters' music streaming fees
- Inspire presents 42nd Street for Spring Musical
- Music enthusiasts compete in fiddle competition
- Sunny Skies for Wildflower Music Festival Saturday