It's now been one month since the Cherokee fire began and 29 days since the La porte fire began.
The California Department of Toxic Substances Control, also known as DTSC, is working on removing hazardous material from homes damaged by the fires.
So far this week, the DTSC has cleaned up hazardous material from 29 homes devastated by the La Porte fire.
And the department is hoping to have 65 remaining homes, including 5 damaged by the Cherokee fire cleared by this Saturday.
The team takes measurmentes and looks at levels of asbestos. It's a very dangerous mineral that can lead to deadly diseases.
Materials such as propane tanks or batteries can also become hazardous after a structure fire.
Butte County Public Information Officer Casey Hatcher says if you're interested in re-building, this is a very important first step to take.
The Department of Toxic Substances Control is coming out and screening and removing hazardous waste from properties. But property owners need to complete what is called a right of entry form to have cal recycle come out and remove the rest of the fire debris," said Hatcher.
The right of entry form is available at the debris recovery operation center in marysville, the county's website, or the butte county department office on 7 County Drive.
- Hazardous material cleanup begins
- Avoiding Fire Hazards on the Roadways
- More Details on Explosive Materials Found in Redding Home
- Debris on Hwy 99 creates dangerous hazard for drivers
- Chapmantown gets a cleanup thanks to friendly volunteers
- Redding Homeless Count Begins
- CHP begins maximum enforcement period
- Paving work beginning on Butte County Highways
- 'Tis the Season Community Food Drive Begins!
- CHP to Begin Christmas Maximum Enforcement Period