UPDATE | 5:15 P.M.
Chico, Calif. --"I think the governor to his credit has been pretty fiscally prudent. He's saying we can't spend all this money, we have a surplus, but we need to be smart about how we do this, put it in a rainy day fund, pay down debt, that's important because it only takes a mild recession in California to where we get back to deficits," said Assemblyman James Gallagher.
"As Vice Chairman of the Budget Committee, I can say that I'm somewhat pleased today. Governor Brown has taken the tact of being more responsible than just spending all of that revenue in ways that will increase our budgets in the future substantially," said Senator Jim Nielsen.
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - The Latest on Gov. Jerry Brown's revised budget proposal.
Gov. Jerry Brown has proposed a $137.6 billion general fund budget for California as revenues continue to surge.
Brown released his spending plan Friday, kicking off his last round of negotiations with Democratic legislative leaders.
Brown's latest budget is up nearly $6 billion from his earlier proposal in January. The Democratic governor wants to save most of the surplus to protect spending during a future recession. But he proposed $2 billion for infrastructure, including universities, courts, state facilities and flood control and $359 million for homelessness.
He's also still pushing for a new online community college to train working adults who don't have the time and flexibility for a traditional college program.
Legislative Democrats and outside interest groups are pushing to boost funding for health care, higher education, welfare, child care and a wide variety of other initiatives.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press.)
- UPDATE: Governor Proposes $138 Billion California Budget
- California governor signs $139 billion budget
- Governor Brown announces proposed state budget for 2018-2019
- Colleges have mixed feelings about Governor Brown's proposed budget
- New Redding Courthouse in Governor Brown's Budget Proposal
- California Assembly proposes $4.3 billion in new spending
- Proposed Butte County Budget Cuts 61.5 Positions
- US budget deficit totals $138.5 billion in November
- Governor Brown scales back Twin Tunnels proposal
- Brown, Legislative Leaders Reach California Budget Deal