The flu epidemic is taking a heavy toll on children.
At least 53 have died so far, that's more than three times as many deaths as there were at this point last year.
The Centers for Disease Control on Friday reported an additional 16 pediatric flu deaths.
48 states are reporting widespread flu activity.
CDC spokeswoman Kristen Nordlund tells CNN that as bad as it is, the wave of flu cases hasn't yet peaked.
- CDC: Flu season yet to peak, 16 children dead
- Warming trend peaks today
- Deadly flu season winds down for Californians
- Worst flu season in a decade
- CDC says to get flu shots this year instead of nasal spray vaccines
- California officials say flu-related deaths up this season
- Flu season wrapping up in time for Spring semester
- Life Expectancy Continues to Decline for Americans: CDC
- 16 arrested during Anderson warrant sweep
- What You Need to Know: July 16