RIVERSIDE, Calif. (AP) - Prosecutors have arrested a former Southern California sheriff's deputy for the alleged murder of a man who was the father of his lover's children after they had previously cleared him of wrongdoing.
The Riverside County district attorney's office said former Deputy Oscar Rodriguez was arrested Thursday in the shooting death of Luis Carlos Morin Jr. in 2014.
Prosecutors say they initially determined Rodriguez was justified in shooting Morin while attempting to arrest him on a warrant.
Prosecutors said they reopened the case after learning through a lawsuit filed by Morin's family that Rodriguez was intimately involved with Diana Perez, the mother of Morin's children.
Rodriguez is scheduled to appear in court Friday in Indio. Perez is scheduled to be arraigned on Jan. 3 on a charge of being an accessory.
- Ex-deputy charged with murder of father of lover's children
- Fairfield Father Charged with Torturing 10 Children
- Texas father charged with murder in death of Indian orphan
- Sushi Lover Pulls 5-Foot Tapeworm From His Own Body
- Redding book lovers gather for bimonthly book sale
- Colorado Father Arrested In Family's Murder
- Deputies ID father fatally shot at California camping site
- Former deputy arrested on illegal weapons charges
- Stolen bagel may have led to California children's murders