NICOLAUS, Calif. - The California Highway Patrol says an elderly man died during a car crash on Highway 99 (Laurel Avenue) and Powerline Road in the Yuba Sutter area Saturday afternoon.
According to CHP Yuba-Sutter, just after 2 p.m. a 2010 Freightliner driven by Eric Doppelmayr, 64, of Sacramento, was going southbound on Highway 99 just north of Powerline Road in the town of Nicolaus.
At the same time, another vehicle driven by a Fairfield man was headed northbound on Highway 99 just south of Powerline Road.
The Fairfield driver allegedly tried to make a U-turn from the number 2 lane and came directly into the path of Doppelmayr, officials said.
The force of the crash caused the elderly man to be ejected from his vehicle and be killed at the scene.
Due to the crash, the intersection was closed for about six hours so investigators could examine the scene and clean it up as well.
Doppelmayr received only minor injuries and was taken to UC Davis Medical Center.
The identity of the deceased Fairfield man has not been released as of Monday.
- Updated: Crash Kills Fairfield Man in Nicolaus
- Fairfield Father Charged with Torturing 10 Children
- Grass Fire is Prompting Evacuations in Fairfield, Paradise Valley
- Orland Man Killed in Crash Near Corning
- Family Mourns Man Killed in I-5 Crash
- UPDATE: 13 killed in helicopter crash after Mexican quake
- UPDATE: One person killed, Wrong Person Arrested in Redding Crash
- UPDATE: Two killed in early morning crash in Linda
- Shooting Near High School in Fairfield leaves one teen dead, another critically injured
- UPDATE: Man killed in Glenn County crash identifed as PG&E employee