STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

Chico chimney fire could have been a lot worse

A fire in central Chico could have been much worse Wednesday afternoon.

Posted: Jan. 3, 2018 4:47 PM

A fire in central Chico could have been much worse Wednesday afternoon.

Firefighters say the fire is a good reminder to be careful about what you put in the fireplace and wood stove.

James Husband says he's lived in this house on Oak Drive since 1971 and this is his second chimney fire.

James Husband said, “I had some old oak barrels that I decided to cut them up to burn them for firewood, stuck a bunch in the wood stove to get it going, then I went next door to help a neighbor, and next thing I know, boy it was just boiling out smoke.”

Husband put the flames out himself by climbing on the roof and using his garden hose to spray water down the chimney.

Chico firefighters say there was no damage to the home or the attic.

They say this time of year, people might be tempted to throw trash like wrapping paper or dried Christmas trees in the fireplace or wood stove, which can create a fire hazard.

They say it's best to just throw everything in the trash.

Article Comments

Chico
Clear
57° wxIcon
Hi: 96° Lo: 61°
Feels Like: 57°
Oroville
Clear
62° wxIcon
Hi: 96° Lo: 60°
Feels Like: 62°
Paradise
Clear
55° wxIcon
Hi: 91° Lo: 62°
Feels Like: 55°
Chester
Clear
30° wxIcon
Hi: 85° Lo: 48°
Feels Like: 30°
Red Bluff
Clear
59° wxIcon
Hi: 99° Lo: 61°
Feels Like: 59°
Willows
Clear
55° wxIcon
Hi: 99° Lo: 59°
Feels Like: 55°
Triple digit heat ahead for today, but cooling down this weekend!
KHSL Watches & Warnings
KHSL Radar
KHSL Temperatures

Community Events