Chico Calif.—Cesar Chavez Day is Saturday March 31st, a national holiday to celebrate the birthday and legacy of the civil rights and labor movement leader.
In Chico the holiday has become notorious for partying in the Chico campus area.
The Associated Student Group Cats in the Community decided to organize a way to give back to the community five years ago.
The wanted to give back to the community as an homage to Chavez, who spent his time working to create unions for migrant workers and laborers in the 1960’s and 1970’s.
Hundreds of students have signed up to participate at 14 different sites for service in the city.
Places in the city include The Chico Animal Shelter, The Jesus Center, and the Boys and Girls club.
Artist on campus have also created a mural to honor Cesar Chavez.
The mural will be donated to the University Saturday afternoon.
- Chico State Students Honor Cesar Chavez
- Remembering Cesar Chavez through community service
- 36 Arrests Made in Chico During Cesar Chavez Day weekend
- Chico State Orion Newspaper Wins Top Honors
- Sustainability a Top Honor at Chico State
- Student Fees to Increase at Chico State
- New Student Orientations Begin at Chico State
- Fallen firefighter honored in Chico
- Chico State honors veteran’s with a patriotic service