Looking for something special to do on Sunday, February 18th , 2018? Oroville’s Chinese Temple & Museum Complex, located at 1500 Broderick Street, will be celebrating Chinese New Year 2018, “The Year of the Dog”, from noon until 4:00 P.M. This is a free event with refreshments served and special New Year good luck gifts for all.
The North Valley In-Tune Music Foundation have arranged for a special concert from 1:00 P.M. – 3:00 P.M. The North Valley In-Tune Music Foundation raises funds for the community and encourages children to take up music. The event includes a demonstration of the ancient art of calligraphy with a gift to take home.
The Oroville Chinese Temple complex traces its roots back to the 1860’s when the Chinese community was very vibrant and active in the area. Within the temple grounds are three separate temples; The “Temple of Many Deities,” a Temple of Confucianism, and a Buddhist Temple. Also on the grounds is a Display Hall featuring Tapestries from the temple and the long-gone Chinese Theatre. The Cullie Room showcases Chinese and American costumes from 1840 to 1940. The Fong Lee Building has a replica of an herbal and gold purchasing shop. The courtyard and gardens feature plants native to China and a traditional fish pond. City Docents provide interesting insights to each of the areas. Additional information may be obtained by contacting the City of Oroville Parks and Trees Department at (530) 538-2401.
- Celebrate Chinese New Year at Oroville's Chinese Temple
- Chinese New Year celebrated at historic Oroville Temple Sunday
- Chinese Temple and museum host 'New Year' celebration
- Chinese New Year in the North State
- New Chinese Tariffs Could Impact Local Farmers
- Juneteenth Celebrations in Oroville
- Chinese tire maker picks North Carolina site for major plant
- Chinese anger after terracotta warrior's thumb stolen in US
- New York New Year's Eve celebration in Oroville
- Voices of Oroville: One year after Oroville Dam Spillway Crisis