Photo Gallery 1 Images
Chico, Calif.--The California Highway Patrol is holding a bike rodeo for kids tomorrow at the Wittmeier Auto Center in Chico.
It's a three-hour long event and it's a great opportunity for families to come out for some fun games and activities - and to gain some potentially life-saving information.
"It's very important to wear your helmet- knee-pads, elbow pads probably a good idea. You don't have a seatbelt on a bicycle so view your helmet as your seatbelt in a way," said Officer Logan Callahan of the California Highway Patrol.
The Chico Velo Bike Club and Sports LTD will be out to help with safety inspections.
The event is funded by a State Department of Transportation grant.
"Do everything you can to protect yourself - bike riding is a great activity for families and Chico is very conducive to it, but just make sure you're doing it safely," said Callahan.
That includes wearing helmets, reflective gear, and knowing the rules of the road - even how to signal using your arms so cars know which way you plan to turn.
Wittmeier Auto Center will be raffling off a bicycle to one of the participants.
It all happens Saturday May 12th at 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Another CHP Bike Rodeo will be held in the town of Paradise on June 1st.
- CHP teaches bike safety at Kid's Rodeo Saturday
- CHP hands out bikes to kids in Redding
- Flooding Safety from CHP and Chico Fire
- Oroville CHP delivers toys to kids
- Redding Rodeo Week Kicks off
- CHP begins maximum enforcement period
- CHP Fourth of July Enforcement
- Special Kids Day adds to Amazing Week at the Redding Rodeo
- CHP to Begin Christmas Maximum Enforcement Period
- CHP officer killed by suspected drunk driver