UPDATE - A Chico man has died in a motorcycle crash north of Oroville.
The CHP says on Sunday just before 6:30 p.m., two men were on their motorcycles headed north on Highway 70 past Garden Drive.
Witnesses say they were driving erratically at speeds of up to 90 mph when one of the men side-swiped the back of a pick-up truck in the fast lane.
Witnesses say it appeared the man was trying to pass the pick-up truck in the small lane next to the center divider when he instead hit the concrete barrier and was thrown from his motorcycle.
Investigators say he slid across the freeway, and then was hit by another car that didn't have time to avoid him.
CHP officers say the victim was wearing a helmet and safety gear, but he was killed at the scene.
Alcohol is suspected in the wreck.
Firefighters on scene told Action News Now the men were returning from a "Sharks" game. No other injuries were reported. The victim's name has not been released.
BUTTE COUNTY - The California Highway Patrol is responding to a confirmed fatality involving a motorcycle and car, according to initial reports from the CHP.
CHP officials said this happened just before 6:30 p.m. Sunday on Highway 70 just north of Cottonwood Road.
Northbound lanes are blocked off and traffic is being diverted to Garden Drive, as of 6:30 p.m., according to CHP.
This is a developing story we will bring you more information as it develops.
- CHP: Chico man dead after suspected DUI motorcycle crash
- CHP: 1 dead, after suspected DUI car crash in Oroville
- Suspected DUI driver arrested in Chico
- Man dead after DUI crash on Highway 99
- Oroville CHP: "13 DUI Arrests in 15 Days is Average"
- CHP investigating deadly crash along Highway 99 in Chico
- CHP: DUI hit-and-run driver arrested after head-on crash at Oro Bangor Hwy
- Chico Police: Officer assaulted while trying to detain DUI suspect
- Woman in Chico taken into custody after suspected DUI wreck
- CHP Oroville investigating fatal hit-and-run, 1 man dead