A semi-truck full of cheese crashed and burst into flames on I-5 in Sun Valley Friday morning. Several lanes of the freeway were shut down for hours after the fiery semi crash.
You see the driver here being taken to the hospital. He got out okay.
That driver told CHP officers he hit something lost control and rammed into the guard rail. The impact ripped the cab from the rest of truck and split the side. The truck's load shredded cheese flew all over the freeway. Diesel fuel spilled over it, and the whole mess ignited.
Folks sleeping in a homeless encampment near the freeway were jolted. One woman tells us the driver was either sleeping or knocked out by the impact.
Detectives say they will look into all possible causes for the crash and long closure.
Another part of the holdup was up above the freeway. This walkway over the freeway never shut down, but because the semi actually struck it's base engineers needed to fully check it out.
- A semi-truck full of cheese crashes and sets fire
- Semi Truck Fire Stalls Traffic in Chico
- Highway 70 partially blocked by semi-truck after crash
- Panera Bread recalls cream cheese over listeria fears
- Tesla in Autopilot mode crashes into fire truck
- Overturned semi-truck blocking both lanes of southbound Highway 99, driver arrested
- Rainy day causes semi-truck to jack-knife off Hwy 99
- Anheuser-Busch orders 800 hydrogen-powered semi trucks from Tesla rival Nikola
- Mission in Syria: Semi-accomplished
- Trucker gets lost in the woods with truck full of chips, doesn't eat any