Photo Gallery 1 Images
CHICO, Calif.-- A former Chico High School teacher convicted of molesting a student has been sentenced.
52-year old Halden Bret Calvert of Chico will spent 60 days in jail and serve three years of probation.
Calvert had pleaded guilty to a charge of misdemeanor child molestation. He must also register as a sex offender.
The victim was a 17-year old junior at the time of the crime.
Calvert's conduct first came to light when the girl's parents checked her diary.
The girl eventually told her parents that Calvert kissed her several times while they were alone in the classroom.
The victim said that Calvert touched her during visits to his home as well.
Chico Police sex crimes detectives began an investigation. A search of the girl's cell phone found around 5,000 text messages between the two in a span of 90 days.
School officials removed Calvert from campus and placed him on administrative leave.
Calvert later formally resigned from his position at Chico High School. His teaching credentials have since been revoked.
Stay with Action News Now for all of your local coverage. SIGN UP: Get our daily newsletter
- Former Chico High Teacher Sentenced for Molesting Student
- Former Chico High teacher pleads guilty to molesting student
- Former Chico High School teacher pleads guilty to molesting student
- Student Sues Yuba City High Teacher, District
- Chromebooks for High School Students in Chico
- Chico High Burglary Suspect Arrested
- Corning Man Sentenced to 38 Years to Life in Prison for Molestation
- Dangerous shooting suspect sentenced for Chico shooting
- Chico State Student Photo Scandal
- DUI Sentencing Held at Orland High School