Update: 5/15/2018 5:15 p.m.
Oroville, Calif.— The trial of a Chico homeless man charged with murder continued into its second week.
A forensic pathologist gave graphic details to the jury on the autopsy of Audra Houston's body and what he determined from his exam.
The details from the autopsy and the images shown in the courtroom, painted a picture that Audra Houston was severely beaten and abused.
Forensic pathologist, Dr. Thomas Resk, described Houston's body before the autopsy; her pants were pulled down, all her clothing was wet and there was as he described as a complex arrangement of clothing around her wrist and neck.
The first picture shown to the jury was of her face covered by bruises and blood.
Dr. Resk said when he looked at her head and neck, all signs pointed to strangulation and blunt-force trauma.
In his opinion, she was hit with something several times and it happened when she was still alive.
The crime scene photos he was given showed the body laying face down in a pool of blood when it was found.
Based on his exam, Resk believes she was alive when she was put in that position with her nose and mouth submerged in blood, she was not able to breath.
The trial will continue on May 22nd.
Oroville, Calif.—Tuesday morning the jury was shown a disturbing image of 34 year old Audra Houston’s face.
The photo showed bruising on her face, on her left eye and cheek, and blood around her nose and mouth.
Forensic Pathologist Tom Resk shared with the jury evidence of death by asphyxiation or suffocation.
He described also finding an unknown yellow substance on her body.
He described a complex arrangement of clothing around her neck and wrist.
Oroville, Calif.—The trial continues Tuesday for a Chico man charged with first degree murder at a motel.
Marc Valcarenghi is suspected of strangling Audra Houston at the Safari Inn last June.
Tuesday the jury is expected to hear testimony from a pathologist.
The defendants will begin their part of the case next week.
Closing statements are expected for next Friday.
Valcarenghi faces life in prison if found guilty.
More Coverage on the Valcarenghi Trial:
- Valcarenghi Trial Continues in Oroville
- Jury Selection Began for Valcarenghi Murder Trial
- Jury Selection Underway in Valcarenghi Murder Trial
- Valcarenghi Testifies In His Murder Trial
- More Witness Testimony in Day 2 of Valcarenghi Murder Trial
- Witnesses set to Testify in the Valcarenghi Murder Trial
- Jury Hears Opening Statements, Witness Questioning in Marc Valcarenghi Murder Trial
- Oroville housing market continues to boom after spillway crisis
- Lightning strikes Oroville home
- Voices of Oroville: One year after Oroville Dam Spillway Crisis