Photo Gallery 7 Images
Oroville, Calif.—According to Cal Fire Butte County there was a report of a boating accident on Lake Oroville in the area of West Branch Bridge on Sunday evening around 6:30 p.m.
First responders found that a boat had struck the shore in Dark Canyon area in the north side of the channel.
The boat crash ejected six people.
There were 30 total personnel assigned to the incident including six truck companies, and a helicopter.
Units arrived on scene within 25 minutes to find one victim dead in the water and five others injured.
Officials cannot discuss the extent of the injuries at this time, but say that they are significant.
The operator of the boat was 29-year-old Brandon Smith. He was arrested on BUI, Boating Under the Influence, but later released on bail. He is being charged with involuntary manslaughter.
The ages of the people on the boat range from 17-years-old to 29-years-old.
The victim of the crash was 27-year-old Drew Gerken of the Paradise/Chico area.
Officials estimate the boat was going about 30 miles per hour when it crashed into the bank.
- One Dead, One Arrested After Boat Crash at Lake Oroville
- Update: 5 Rescued at Lake Oroville From Boat Crash; At Least 1 Dead
- Lake Oroville houseboats stuck ashore
- Lake Almanor boat ramp closing for the winter
- Two men killed in boating accident on Lake Havasu
- New House Boat on Shasta Lake Sleeps 22
- Young people from Overland Park, Olathe killed in boat crash at Lake of the Ozarks
- CHP: 1 dead, after suspected DUI car crash in Oroville
- 64 migrants believed dead after boat sinks in Mediterranean
- Scores of migrants feared dead after boat capsizes off Libya