A 17-year-old student is in custody after threatening to open fire on his California high school, even though he said his comments were a joke.
Authorities say a security guard at El Camino High School overheard the student's threat last week.
The teen confirmed the comments and the Los Angeles County Sheriff's department took action.
He was said to be angry about a teacher's issue with headphones in class.
A search of the student's home turned up multiple weapons.
The teen's 28-year-old brother was also arrested on a variety of weapons charges.
The sheriff said that the number of school threats has increased since the attack in Parkland, Florida.
- CA school shooting plot foiled
- Teenager's school shooting plot thwarted in Vermont
- UPDATE: San Francisco terror attack foiled by FBI
- ‘Thomas Fire’ now the largest fire in CA history
- Thousands barred from owning guns in CA still have them
- Gavin Newsom files paperwork for CA Governor run
- CA Lawmakers Propose Privately-Financed Banks for Marijuana Sales
- PG&E Gearing Up for Possible Bankruptcy, CA Lawmakers Say
- CA Attorney General Warns Fire Victims of Price Gouging
- $48M Collected in 3 Months from CA Marijuana Taxes