CHICO - A suspected DUI driver who crashed his car into a tree and then fought with a Chico police officer has been arrested on Sunday on a handful of charges.
Police said the incident began at the 300 block of Hazel St., Chico just before 8 p.m., when officers responded to a call from a resident claiming that someone had crashed their vehicle in front of his house.
A second caller said the driver looked “intoxicated” and was trying to fight with people around the area.
An officer later arrived and found several bystanders holding the suspect on the ground, according to CPD.
The driver, identified as Drew Thomas DelGrande, did not comply with the officer’s instructions and resorted to striking the officer on the head with his fists, said CPD.
Officials said after a lengthy struggle with DelGrande, he was finally detained by responding officers.
DelGrande was arrested for:
• Battery on a police officer with injury
• Resisting arrest by violence
• Driving under the influence
DelGrande was then booked into the Butte County Jail and his bail is set at $60,000.
- Chico Police: Officer assaulted while trying to detain DUI suspect
- Suspected DUI driver arrested in Chico
- CHP: Chico man dead after suspected DUI motorcycle crash
- Woman in Chico taken into custody after suspected DUI wreck
- Redding Police say suspect assaulted officers, K9 during arrest
- Suspected DUI driver hits police car while officer has another car pulled over
- Suspected DUI driver rams LA patrol cars
- Dog Saves Girl from Assault in Chico, Police Search for Suspect
- Chico Police say road rage suspected tried to run over officers in Police Department parking lot
- Chico woman arrested for DUI after three-car crash