Vape juice, flavored cigars, chewing tobacco and menthol cigarettes could soon be impossible to buy in Oroville if a new ordinance is passed, and that has smoke shops scared.
If the proposed oridnance is approved, no stores in Oroville would be able to sell any of those products.
If a business were only selling vaping products they'd be forced to shut their doors for good.
Blaze N Jay's smoke shop has stores in Chico and Oroville, and owners told me they sell $2,200 worth of vape juice in a week, for one store.
Terri Turner from Blaze N Jay's says she has seen vaping as a healthier alternative for those who smoke cigarettes.
Turner says, "I have seen hundreds of people be able to quit smoking, down to zero nicotine on e-juice, it's a miracle. To take it away from people and our businesses, I don't think a city has a right to do that. It's a personal choice."
Turner is trying to get enough signatures on a petition to bring the ordinance to a public vote.
The Oroville Planning Commission will be holding a public hearing to further discuss the possible ban.
That is scheduled for February 22nd at 7pm in the city council chambers.
- Possible ban on sale of menthol cigarettes, flavored tobacco for Oroville
- Tobacco Free in 2018
- Oroville City Council Considers New Sales Tax
- Oroville City Council to reconsider marijuana ban
- Local Teens Stand up Against Tobacco Use
- Oroville looking at ways to make commercial marijuana sales work
- Heat-not-burn cigarette alternative faces US scrutiny
- E-Cigarette Sellers use College Scholarships to Sell Brands
- Lightning strikes Oroville home
- Juneteenth Celebrations in Oroville