UPDATE 1/16/2018 3:49 p.m.
According to DIR Public Information Officer:
Cal/OSHA was notified on January 15 of a fatality incident involving an employee of Bob and Sue Vanella dba Vanella Farms in Chico. According to the outside source, a worker was fatally pinned under a trailer while loading a tractor. Cal/OSHA is investigating and has six months to issue citations for violations of workplace safety regulations.
Employers must notify Cal/OSHA of serious injuries or fatalities in the workplace. Cal/OSHA will investigate work-related incidents and can issue citations for violations of workplace safety regulations. Employers have the right to appeal the citations once they have been issued. When the inspection is closed, you can request copies of public records. The inspections tend to take 4-6 months.
UPDATE 1/16/2018 2:46 p.m.
The man killed in the farming accident was Arturo Ocampo-Santos. He was 55 years old and from Chico.
Emergency crews remain at the scene of a farming accident in north Chico Monday afternoon.
The accident happened just before three this afternoon on a ranch on Anita road where a tractor fell on top of the operator.
The CHP has confirmed one man in his 50's is dead after a fatal farming accident on Anita Road right off of Highway 99.
About three o’clock the unidentified man was reportedly loading a tractor onto the bed of a long bed truck when it fell and pinned him under the tractor.
Cal Fire is en-route to help extricate the body.
Authorities are trying to locate the property owners.
The accident happened when the workers were just finishing up for the day.
The accident happened right off of Highway 99, but it did not affect traffic on the highway.
This is a developing story, and we'll have more information as it becomes available.
- Farming accident leaves one man dead in Chico
- Farm City Harvest Festival in Chico Saturday
- Chico State University Farm Plant Sale
- CHP investigating freak accident that left one man dead
- Missing Chico woman found dead
- Rollover crash in Redding leaves one dead
- Long Beach workplace shooting leaves 2 dead
- Nor'easter hits Massachusetts, leaves 1 boy dead
- Chico man found dead in apartment on Cherry Street
- CHP: Chico man dead after suspected DUI motorcycle crash