UPDATE - Using a torch lighter to fry a spider is being blamed for a small apartment fire in Redding.
According to Redding firefighters, when residents tried to kill a spider with a large torch lighter.
They caught the bedding on fire, which spread to the walls of the apartment.
When firefighters arrived they could see smoke coming out of the first and second story windows.
They had the flames knocked down within 15 minutes, and there were no injuries.
The residents will have to stay somewhere else for the time being because the building has been deemed structurally unsound.
Redding Fire Chief Gerry Gray said that firefighters are at the scene of an apartment fire near Waldon Street in Redding.
According to Gray, this happened just after noon Sunday on 2534 Waldon Street.
Gray also mentioned that the smoke is showing from a downstairs unit.
We have a reporter on the way and will bring more information as it becomes available.
- Residents try to kill spider with torch lighter, cause apartment fire in Redding
- 3 story apartment fire at Nord Avenue, displaces some residents
- Fully engulfed apartment fire in Redding spreads to attic
- Man killed in fire in Redding identified
- Redding Warehouse Fire
- House fire breaks out in Redding, forces residents out of house
- Red Bluff Residents Weigh in on Highway 36 changes
- Motorcycle crash kills 2 in Redding
- Forest Ranch Residents Practice Fire Evacuations
- Apartment fire breaks out in Trump Tower leaves 1 dead