UPDATE 7:40 p.m. - According to a press release sent by the Red Bluff Police Department, an officer responded to a call involving two dogs acting aggressively towards a small girl riding a bicycle.
Authorities say the officer approached the two St. Bernards while they barked and acted aggressively towards him.
This prompted the officer to use pepper spray to deter them off for some time, but as he patrolled around the area in order to locate the owner of the dogs, he exited the vehicle near a residence and was trapped between his vehicle and a fence as the dogs suddenly returned.
Red Bluff Police say the officer fired several shots at the dogs in order to protect himself.
One dog died as a result and the current condition of the second dog is still unknown at this time but was transported to Cottonwood Veterinary Clinic.
The Red Bluff Police Department says that two dogs were shot after an officer-involved shooting took place, resulting in one dog being killed.
According to police, this happened about 9:30 a.m., Sunday, at the intersection of Nelson and Hasvold Drive in Red Bluff.
Police said they responded to a call about a vicious dog in the neighborhood and when police arrived, an officer shot both the dogs and a nearby home.
One dog was killed and the other was injured, but taken to a nearby veterinary hospital, luckily no one inside the home was injured as a result of the incident.
Action News Now reporter James Villalobos was told that both the dogs were classified as St. Bernards.
The officer who shot the dogs is not working for the rest of the day and will be interviewed about the ordeal.
We do not know the circumstances leading up to the officer-involved shooting.
We will have more details coming up in Action News Now at 6.
- 1 dog killed 1 injured after an officer-involved shooting
- Officer Involved Shooting in Marysville
- Second dog dies from injuries following officer-involved shooting
- Body cam of officer-involved shooting that killed 2 dogs will not be released
- UPDATE: Suspect killed in officer-involved shooting with Redding Police
- Man Identified in Deadly Officer Involved Shooting
- Victim Identified in Redding Officer-Involved Shooting
- BCSO: Deputy-involved Shooting, Suspect Killed
- Placer Co. Sheriff: Chico man Involved in Pursuit, Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting
- TCSO: Off Duty Deputy-Involved Shooting Provoked by Dog Attack