UPDATE: The City of Marysville announced its separation of Police Chief Aaron W. Easton from the Marysville Police Department.
In a discussion with the City Manager Easton expressed his belief that the continued credibility of the department was best served by him separating himself.
The City Manager made this statement, “The Marysville Police Department is a professional law enforcement organization with fine men and women dedicated to the safety and security of our city. The department is in no way implicated in either the allegations or the investigation into former chief Easton’s personal conduct. I cannot permit those personal difficulties to become a distraction from the department’s vital work, and I cannot have a part-time police chief. Mr. Easton needs to devote his full time and energies to resolving these personal matters facing him and his family.”
Effective immediately, Police Lieutenant Christian Sachs, a 17-year veteran of the department, will take over the top leadership post in the department as interim Police Chief.
Yuba County authorities have confirmed they are investigating sexual assault allegations lodged against Marysville Police Chief Aaron Easton.
Recently unsealed affidavits reveal that the investigation has been going on since last year when a woman who was a cadet in the Yuba College Police Academy in 2008, reported that she was assaulted by Easton during a police ride-along that same year.
According to one affidavit, the woman said the incident, which she said involved oral sex, led to her being dropped from the academy and ruined her life. She goes on to say, in the affidavit, that she waited so long to report the incident because she thought no one would believe her.
Chief Easton is referring all questions to his lawyer, who has stated in recent press reports that Easton categorically denies the allegations.
The Yuba County Sheriff's office and district attorney's office are investigating the case.
- Marysville Police Chief Update: Easton leaves post amid investigation
- City of Marysville Announces New Fire Chief
- Update: Wanted suspect from Oroville captured by Marysville police
- Caltrans Job Fair in Marysville
- Officer Involved Shooting in Marysville
- Marysville Police recover more than $54,000 in stolen property
- Marysville Police arrest suspect in suspected child molestation case
- Marysville police arrest CVS robbery suspect in just a minute
- Marysville residents react to Highway 70 plans
- Marysville PD: 'Catapult EMS saves lives'