A Gridley Man who was severely burned yesterday has passed away and the accident has left his family in shock.
Cal Fire responded yesterday morning and found 90-year-old Glen Burgess with second to third degree burns across 60% of his body. He was airlifted to UC Davis Regional Burn Center where he was later pronounced dead.
Family members say he was burning a pile of leaves and brush when he accidentally caught on fire. He was sitting in his wheelchair and couldn't escape. Although his death is a big loss, his family says he's been suffering for the last 5 years and they're glad he's no longer in pain. Instead, they remember his contributions to the community.
Working with immigration, he helped a lot of people work on the Chicano farm laborers. The guy worked all the time. Call him a grease monkey, whatever, he worked real hard and so I know he was respected in this town. They called him Mr. Glen,” said his grandson Patrick Burgess.
Burgess had Parkinson's disease and family members say heavens gained another soul and he's better off than living in a world of pain.
His family says they're going to honor his wishes of forgoing a funeral and having him cremated.