:   |   |   |  
| Email Alerts | New! Mobile Apps

Ban Ki-moon withdraws offer for Iran to join Syria peace talks

Aftermath of a car bomb attack on a market in the town of Darkoush in Idlib province, Monday, Oct. 14, 2013.  (Shaam News Network/AP)
Aftermath of a car bomb attack on a market in the town of Darkoush in Idlib province, Monday, Oct. 14, 2013. (Shaam News Network/AP)
Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 1/20 1:43 pm
 NBC NEWS

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Monday rescinded an offer for Iran to attend Syria peace negotiations after Tehran said it didn't support the June 2012 political transition deal that is the basis for the talks. 

 

In a brief statement by his spokesman — and under huge pressure from the U.S. — Ban withdrew the invitation, saying he was "deeply disappointed" by public statements today from Iran.

 

"He (Ban) continues to urge Iran to join the global consensus behind the Geneva communiqué," Ban's spokesman Martin Nesirky said. "Given that it has chosen to remain outside that basic understanding, (Ban) has decided that the one-day Montreux gathering will proceed without Iran's participation."

 

Ban said earlier that Iran's public statement that it did not support the 2012 Geneva deal calling for a transitional government for Syria was "not consistent" with assurances he had been given by Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif. 

 

NBC News' Andrea Mitchell and Reuters contributed to this report

Share
0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of Action News Now

No comments yet!
Action News Headlines
Weather Center & Blog
Temp:
64°
Feels Like:
64°
Wind:
ESE 21 mph


Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.

Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.

© 2014 GOCOM Media of Northern California